Re: [announce] The new website for GNU ELPA is online

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [announce] The new website for GNU ELPA is online
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 03:05:28 +0200

Hi Nicolas,

On 01.12.2016 01:30, Nicolas Petton wrote:

The new website for GNU ELPA is (finally!) online at

  https://elpa.gnu.org

Thank you for the new design, it a definite improvement.

A couple of notes:

- The logo (both versions) looks a little blurry to me, like the text's edges in "ξlpa" are less definite than in "GNU Emacs Lisp Package Archive" below it. Although that might have everything to do with me using a 4K monitor.

- The phrase "Since you'll probably want to use your installed packages, ..." is a bit jarring.

First, you _can_ use most of the packages (maybe not all (?), but close) without that, as long as you limit the relevant configuration to add-hook, eval-after-load, setq and auto-mode-alist entries.

In fact, I recommend adding `global-company-mode' (a global mode function) to `after-init-hook' instead of evaluating it directly. That works whether (package-initialize) is in the user's init script, or not.

But if we do consider it a good practice, writing about it in a "by the way" fashion on ELPA's website seems odd. A technical solution seems in order.