Re: Spending time on Guile Emacs?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Spending time on Guile Emacs?
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 09:20:18 +0200

> From: Tobias Gerdin <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 21:48:05 +0100
>
> In addition there is the text properties support. Unless one unifies the two
> representations (perhaps via a compile-time flag if Emacs will be statically
> linked with Guile) I think the challenge is to make it easy and not too
> expensive to convert between them.

Why would Guile want to know about text properties?  What would it do
with them?

AFAIU, Guile should receive only the text part of the Emacs strings,
with or without encoding conversion (probably with, because there are
some quirks in Emacs internal representation of text that Guile
neither can nor should care about).

As for statically linking Emacs with Guile, I'm not sure it's a good
idea, as Guile is a very large library.