Re: Conservative GC isn't safe

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Conservative GC isn't safe
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 21:37:47 +0200

> From: Daniel Colascione <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 11:18:32 -0800
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Let me ask again: we already have all the runtime data we need for more
> conservative GC. Where is the resistance to the idea coming from?

I already answered that up-thread: it will be dead code, and thus will
likely do the wrong thing if it ever runs.

I also suggested what to do instead: add assertions that express what
we believe should never happen.  Stefan says doing that is unlikely to
be justified by the dangers, but if we think so, then we shouldn't be
afraid of the problem in the first place.  If we are, then adding
assertions is the way to go.