Re: replacing ldefs-boot.el

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: replacing ldefs-boot.el
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2016 12:08:21 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
>> Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 15:11:39 -0500
>>
>> > AFAIU, the suggested method still puts auto-generated files into the
>> > repository.
>>
>> That's right.  What it does is to strip down ldefs-boot.el to just the
>> autoloads actually used.
>>
>> The intention is to reduce the rate at which this file changes, and hence
>> reducing the spurious conflicts such a file inevitably causes.
>
> I never had any such conflicts.  And since Glenn set up an automated
> job that auto-commits ldefs-boot.el, the problem with changes seems
> all but resolved.

ldefs-boot.el wont cause conflicts per se, because it is not generated
during the build, nor is it versioned -- the situation we had previously
with other autoload files. This change should mean that the necessity
for committing ldefs-boot.el is considerably reduced, since
ldefs-boot-auto.el depends on many fewer files than ldefs-boot.el, and
should mean that diffs are more accurate. It's a small advantage; not
having auto-generated files versioned is perhaps an obsession of mine.

The risk is that it will need more manual intervention. ldefs-boot-auto
is not a complete replacement for ldefs-boot.el. I only know which
autoloaded *functions* have been called. Other forms in autoload are not
captured and have been added manually

(defvar warning-series nil)
(defvar electric-pair-text-pairs '((34 . 34)))

both of which turn out (perhaps surprisingly) to be necessary for
bootstrap. My plan would be to code these dependencies out.

Phil