Re: replacing ldefs-boot.el

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: replacing ldefs-boot.el
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2016 21:19:18 +0000

address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:

> Advantages:
>
>  - we still have an autogenerated file in the repo, but it is very much
>    smaller (160 lines vs 40k).
>
> Disadvantages:
>
>  - generating ldefs-boot-auto is a lot slower (i.e. cp loaddefs.el
>    ldefs-boot.el vs a complete bootstrap build of Emacs).
>
> Invariants:
>
>  - to my testing there is negligable difference in build time.

I've added another commit to this now which hopefully fixes the
references to ldefs-boot.el, replacing them or generalizing them as
appropriate.

update_autogen has not been done, and I am unsure about it. The main
disadvantage with my patch is that it needs a full bootstrap to
regenerate. Do we want this in update_autogen or not?