Re: Regarding performance issues with the Emacs 25.1 Windows-build

From: Fernando Febles Armas
Subject: Re: Regarding performance issues with the Emacs 25.1 Windows-build
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 23:35:50 +0000

> I've put the two new binaries on alpha
> http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/
> Feedback welcome.
> Phil
The new zip files almost double in size the previous ones. I've downloaded the i686 version, and there are two files with the same content weighting 77Mb each one: 'emacs.exe' and 'emacs-25.1.exe'.

I've tested the performance with an old 2004 Sony VAIO, and the performance is much better than the version compiled without optimizations: now I can scroll without problems :-)

Still a bit slower than the 24.5 version. Loading emacs with my init file takes 13.2 seconds with 25.1-2, and 10.6 with the older 24.5.

By the way, are the optional dependencies (emacs-25-x86_64-deps.zip and emacs-25-i686-deps.zip) compiled with the -O2 performance option enabled?

Thanks for your great work.