Re: hybrid_malloc on CANNOT_DUMP?

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: hybrid_malloc on CANNOT_DUMP?
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2016 22:05:01 -0500

> On Nov 20, 2016, at 20:03, Paul Eggert <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Daniel Colascione wrote:
>> Emacs on GNU/Linux and X11 crashes on startup in a CANNOT_DUMP configuration
>> due
>> to some nonsense inside gmalloc. Why wouldn't we want to force
>> hybrid_malloc=off
>> in a CANNOT_DUMP configuration?
>
> Yes, that makes sense. More generally, the CANNOT_DUMP code has been
> suffering from bitrot for some time. I just now made a pass through it to fix
> some gotchas and installed the attached into Emacs master. It's still a mess,
> but at least I can now do 'configure CANNOT_DUMP=yes
> emacs_cv_var_doug_lea_malloc=no' and run 'make check', and most tests pass.
> Hope this helps.

Sounds like it broke a little more since I tried it a few weeks ago. :-(
Back then, it didn’t break until it got to trying to byte-compile Lisp files.

Even with the configure options you specify here, I can’t get it to link on a
GNU/Linux configuration:

emacs.o: In function `main':
/home/ken/dev/emacs/emacs/lx2/src/../../src/emacs.c:725: undefined reference to
`my_endbss_static'
/home/ken/dev/emacs/emacs/lx2/src/../../src/emacs.c:725: undefined reference to
`my_endbss'
/home/ken/dev/emacs/emacs/lx2/src/../../src/emacs.c:725: undefined reference to
`my_endbss'
/home/ken/dev/emacs/emacs/lx2/src/../../src/emacs.c:725: undefined reference to
`my_endbss_static'
Makefile:611: recipe for target 'temacs’ failed
$

my_endbss is no longer defined if CANNOT_DUMP is true, but emacs.c references
it if GNU_LINUX is defined.

Ken