Re: Are there non-mingw32 binaries for Windows?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Are there non-mingw32 binaries for Windows?
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 14:58:03 -0000

On Wed, November 16, 2016 11:47 pm, Kevin Layer wrote:
> It seems 24.3 was the last version that had non-mingw32 binaries.  I'm
> speaking of this:
>
> https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-24.3-bin-i386.zip
>

> Is there an equivalent build like this for 25.1?

Both builds (32 and 64 bit) for 25.1 use mingw.

I'd like to unpick a bit why you are asking the question, because it may
mean that our documentation or file naming is confusing.

Are you looking for a "standalone" emacs that can be installed without a
mingw or msys2 installation? If that is the case, the binaries provided
will do this job for you.

Are you worried about the altered directory structure (i.e. /var, /bin,
/etc)?

Do you have some other reason for not using ming compiled binaries?

Probably for future releases of windows binaries, I should drop the
"-ming" from the file name. It's not doing anything.

Phil