Re: xwidget on master under opensuse

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: xwidget on master under opensuse
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2016 21:02:55 +0100

On Sat, 05 Nov 2016 18:37:59 +0100 address@hidden wrote:

> Stephen Berman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I just updated and rebuilt from master for the first time since the
>> commits making xwidget use the webkit2 API, and discovered that I cannot
>> build Emacs with xwidget because I don't have a recent enough
>> libwebkit2.  Moreover, it appears that such a version is not available
>> for my OS, opensuse: 2.12 is required but 2.10 is the most recent
>> version I've found.  So it appears I have to build and install webkit2
>> from source to use xwidget on current Emacs from master.  Is this
>> correct and is it straightforward?  Or does someone know of a recent
>> enough version for opensuse?  Thanks,
>
> Would it be possible to for you to try to lower the requirements in the
> configury, and report the results here? TIA.

I changed the WEBKIT_REQUIRED test in configure from 2.12 to 2.6.6,
which was the version I had from opensuse, and the build failed due to an
undefined reference to `JSValueIsArray'.  Then I installed an unofficial
build of 2.10.4 that is available from one of the opensuse repositories,
changed configure again and rebuilt emacs, this time successfully.  I
started emacs -Q, invoked xwidget-webkit-browse-url and visited a
website, and it appears to work fine.  There are, however, a slew of
messages in the shell where I started emacs:

(emacs:13002): Gdk-WARNING **: gdkwindow-x11.c:5584 drawable is not a native
X11 window

** (WebKitWebProcess:13016): WARNING **: Error loading the injected bundle
(/usr/lib64/webkit2gtk-4.0/injected-bundle/libwebkit2gtkinjectedbundle.so):
/usr/lib64/webkit2gtk-4.0/injected-bundle/libwebkit2gtkinjectedbundle.so:
undefined symbol: _ZN6WebKit22WebGtkExtensionManager6sharedEv

(emacs:13002): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_draw: assertion
'!widget->priv->alloc_needed' failed

(WebKitWebProcess:13016): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: gsignal.c:2461: signal
'starting' is invalid for instance '0x13b08e0' of type 'SoupMessage'

Variants of the latter message (each with a different hex number) was
displayed hundreds of times.

Steve Berman