Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 ee04aed: Fix handling of buffer relocation in

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 ee04aed: Fix handling of buffer relocation in regex.c functions
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 22:40:34 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 15:32:47 -0400
>
> >> I think we can get out right away.
> [...]
> > I agree that there's a good chance we'll achieve this goal soon
> > enough, but we are not there yet.  We just made the first step today
> > in that direction.  I'm not even sure we will be able to achieve this
> > goal before Emacs 25.2 is released.
>
> Indeed, I meant "right away for master", not "right away for emacs-25".

I don't see the difference.  If it turns out that some platform's
native malloc or gmalloc causes memory fragmentation, we will have to
find a solution, perhaps mmap or something else.  And at least
theoretically some platform could remain with ralloc.c for the
observable future.  We don't want to break people who track master.