Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 ee04aed: Fix handling of buffer relocation in

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 ee04aed: Fix handling of buffer relocation in regex.c functions
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 19:07:50 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 09:56:59 -0400
>
> > I think we should consider these nits when we finish fixing the bugs
> > due to relocation,
>
> I think we should not fix those.  The constraints imposed by
> a relocating malloc are too difficult to abide to IMO, so we should just
> say no.

It depends on how hard that is.  The last one I fixed was very easy.

The only one left I'm aware of is in boyer_moore, which shouldn't be
hard to fix, either.

More generally, as long as even a single platform we care about uses
ralloc.c, I don't think we can leave those problems unfixed, because
their effects are so nasty.