Re: When should ralloc.c be used? (WAS: bug#24358)

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: When should ralloc.c be used? (WAS: bug#24358)
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 20:59:10 -0700

Richard Stallman wrote:
  > I don't like it either, but would rather work on redoing the build process
so
  > that we can use the native malloc on all hosts.

That may not be desirable, though.  We started using GNU malloc
because it gave much better performance

We could continue to do that, on the set of platforms where our copy of GNU malloc works significantly better than native malloc. My impression, though, is that this set of platforms is gradually shrinking due to improvements in memory allocators. See, e.g.:

Berger ED, Zorn BG, McKinley KS. Reconsidering custom memory allocation. OOPSLA'02. http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2502508.2502522
https://people.cs.umass.edu/~emery/pubs/berger-oopsla2002.pdf