Re: When should ralloc.c be used? (WAS: bug#24358)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: When should ralloc.c be used? (WAS: bug#24358)
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2016 10:29:42 +0300

> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 22:32:49 -0700
>
> address@hidden wrote:
> > Should ralloc.c be used on GNU/Linux systems that have GNU libc?
>
> Yes, with bleeding-edge glibc, as __malloc_initialize_hook has been removed.

If that's the case, shouldn't we switch such glibc systems to use mmap
instead?  It should be free of at least some of the problems in
ralloc.c, I think.

Alternatively, how about supporting an external Doug Lea malloc
library (assuming such a library exists and Emacs can be linked
against it)?

ralloc.c is generally "bad news", we've gone to non-trivial efforts
during the last years to reduce its usage to the minimum.  I always
thought that only MSDOS and perhaps a few *BSD systems still use it.
Having it creep back into GNU/Linux is really a bad regression, IMO.