Re: feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 16:19:35 +0100

Alain Schneble <address@hidden> writes:

>> Exactly, I see it the same way.  I also think it's as a separate issue
>> (that after all could also be handled by each package separately if it
>> needs to solve it at all).
>
> To elaborate what I wrote in parenthesis in the last sentence above: In
> this situation, the new package could still (provide
> 'the-deleted-feature) or register a function to be called when loading
> such deprecated file using after-load-alist or somesuch.  The former
> could make a (require 'the-deleted-feature) a "noop", the latter could
> raise an error, or whatever.  And there are for sure other feasible
> approaches that could be implemented by a package if required.

Just to clear, you are suggesting that when moving from org-html to
ox-html, the org developers should have had a file called org-html.el
like so:

(error "org-html is now deprecated")
(provide 'org-html)

Yes, that would work, but does not provide a good solution to my mind.

I really must stop this. We are going around in circles. I will write
this discussion up, and add it to the README on my branch.

Phil