Re: Concurrency, again

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Concurrency, again
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 12:22:38 +0300

> From: Ken Raeburn <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 03:58:04 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> I collected some notes from those past discussions, though it was often
> unclear whether there was consensus on certain things being needed or whether
> they were just ideas being kicked around.  My list, aside from the note to go
> back and review the discussions again :-) …
>
>  * collapse systhread and thread, adding w32threads.c to emulate the pthread
> interface

This can be done later, it's not a critical issue, IMO.

>  * header inclusion order requirement is weird; can generating one big header
> help?

I'm not sure I understand what inclusion order is being alluded to
here.  Can you elaborate?

>  * field names and faking globals with macros: maybe change m_ prefix, maybe
> add BVAR-like macro

Again, not critical.

>  * one thread per terminal?

Why?

>  * file notifications and such shouldn’t go through same queue as keyboard
> events

Why?

>  * interaction of SIGCHLD handling and threads?

Details?

>  * handle errors in lower-level routines like sys_cond_init
>  * ns_select needs fixing
>
> There are also uses of jmp_buf in places that should be examined carefully,
> like stack overflow handling, keyboard.c:getcjmp, and image handling code.

I'd say, insert appropriate FIXME comments where these issues pop up,
and leave this for later, unless the solution is already known.

Thanks.