Performance impact of -no-pie

From: Alex
Subject: Performance impact of -no-pie
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 13:33:37 -0600

After being forced to add -no-pie to my CFLAGS in order to build Emacs
with a recent GCC, my startup time for my whole config (with -nw) has
increased from ~1 second to ~2 seconds.

The startup time for `emacs -Q -nw` went up from about 0.07s to 0.14s;
again it's about twice as slow.

The -Q time doesn't worry me, but the extra second for my main
configuration isn't pleasant.

Is such a performance impact expected? If so, is there a plan to regain
the old speed?