Re: Ignoring keyboard modes for key chords

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Ignoring keyboard modes for key chords
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2016 13:12:57 +0300

> From: Yuri Khan <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2016 14:52:02 +0600
> Cc: Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 2:09 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Why is this expected to be solved by Emacs, and not by some option on
> > the level of the OS keyboard driver?  I'm guessing that doing this in
> > Emacs would require messing with low-level keyboard interfaces,
> > something Emacs is better off without, IMO.
>
> Because none of the other Gtk+ applications exhibit the problem?

Emacs is not a GTK application.  It just uses some of the GTK
features, treating GTK as a fancy toolkit for various decorations.

> > I would expect solutions for this to exist already for GNU/Linux and
> > other free OSes, isn't that so?  If such solutions exist, why not use
> > them instead?
>
> Here is the output of xev(1) when pressing C-s with US and Russian
> layouts installed, Russian layout active:

That's not the solution I had in mind.  I had in mind a solution that
would send to Emacs C-s no matter what's the current keyboard
language, without Emacs having to do anything.

> So, the root cause of the issue is that Emacs is not integrated with
> Gtk’s accelerator system. And it’s not clear if it could, while
> staying cross-toolkit.

Yes, indeed.

> I also wondered whether the issue is Gtk-specific. It’s not;
> emacs24-lucid exhibits the same behavior.

But the solution will almost certainly be different.

Anyway, I won't object to patches which would produce this effect, but
I think this shouldn't be high on our priority scale.