Re: Concurrency, again

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Concurrency, again
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 11:26:38 -0400

On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 10:25:26 -0700 John Wiegley <address@hidden> wrote:

JW> Examples of my own, coffee-break inducing moments:

JW>  - Asking for 10,000 back articles in Gnus, with sorting and threading on
JW>  - Applying a keyboard macro to manipulate 1000 file contents in dired
JW>  - Hitting 'g' in Magit in a repository with tons of stashes, pull requests,
JW>    pending changes, etc.
JW>  - Waiting for ERC to replay message logs from ZNC in 20 channels
JW>  - Asking Proof General to check a file that depends on 30 other files

A few from my experience:

- byte-compiling
- waiting for dynamic data sources like Helm sources
- Tramp to a slow system
- eww or Gnus pausing while rendering a page/article
- gnus-registry and Gnus searching (lots of data, not all local)
- syntax highlighting (debugging it is... tough and the internals are scary)
- Javascript, Java, C++... parsing complex languages in general

I hope that's useful.

Ted