Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 14:53:33 +0100

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

>>> So let's get back to how we can adapt our build process to include ELPA (1)
>>> in the release tarball (for "ELPA tarball" packages), and (2) in our
>>> mainline development (for "ELPA core" packages).
>
>> Still confused about this, so let me check that I have this correct.
>
>> An ELPA tarball package would be included in the tarball.
>
> Yes. Somewhere (probably in a file in Emacs.git), we'd have a MANIFEST file to
> declares which ELPA packages are special with respect to development (core
> ELPA), and which to the distribution (tarball ELPA). It could also include
> other details, such as which Git version we intend to use, where the files
> should be mapped to, etc.

Just to be explicit, this means that we have to use git to grab the
relevant files from ELPA -- we cannot, for example, use package.el to
pull down files from the ELPA website, bcause it doesn't support
versions at the moment.

>> An ELPA core package would be including in the tarball, and other packages
>> would be free to use it as a dependency?
>
> Exactly.

All makes sense, but still a bit confused about how we would decide
whether a package would be tarball or core. What would the criteria be?

Phil