Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 17:25:06 +0100

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

>> I am suggesting that we enable the use of package.el as part of the
>> Emacs build to compile and generate the autoloads for packages in Emacs
>> core.
>
> Sounds good (IIUC).  So you are talking not about users having to use
> package.el but just the Emacs build using package.el.

Just so.

>> > 2. All Emacs Lisp code, apart from 3rd-party libraries, will continue
>> >    to be available in .../lisp/, so users can easily grep for it and
>> >    use `M-x find-library', without messing with packages.
>>
>> This, I am suggesting we change, so that we have two locations for lisp
>> packages dependent on their file organisation. The lisp code will still
>> be available, though.
>
> I am no doubt a minority of one, but I do not want to have to use
> package.el at all, especially just to be able to use vanilla Emacs
> (standard distribution).

I'd agree with this.

As an aside, I'd like to add something that suggests packages you might
want to try based on what you do. So, if you open an ada file, Emacs
might suggest you install ada-mode from ELPA. But that is for the future.

>> > 3. The source-code directory structure under .../lisp/ does not become
>> >    any, or much, deeper.  So far, *.el, */*.el, and */*/*.el are
>> >    sufficient.
>>
>> I would not want to change this.
>
> How does your answer here fit with your answer for #2?  I would like
> to find everything under .../lisp/ still, with a simple subdir structure.

Ah, that's a different thing. I am not suggesting we touch ./lisp at
all. So ./lisp would remain the same.

> But again, I'm no doubt a minority of one.  Just saying what I prefer.

So far, it looks like I am in a minority of one, rather than you.

Phil