Re: Emacs Mac port

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Emacs Mac port
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 10:19:16 +0200

> So basically, no matter what is the value of frame-resize-pixelwise,
> we behave the same on Windows?

Correct.  ‘frame-resize-pixelwise’ is responsible for which size hints
are passed to the window manager.  There are no size hints on Windows.

> If so, I think we deprive users of the
> flexibility to experience the other behavior, however unimportant it
> may seem, and that is IMO a pity.

It's a pity that you did not comment even one of the issues I mentioned
in my previous posts.  My primary concern is to make Emacs stable and
predictable when resizing frames and windows.  On every platform I can
work on.  I don't intend to trade stability for flexibility.

When a window manager or the OS ask Emacs to resize its window in a
certain way, I comply.  This doctrine was established by Jan many years
ago and fully applies to all X based platforms.

Earlier we refused non-characterwise resize requests on Windows because
we considered leaving empty space within the Emacs window the greater
evil.  Such refusal was a gross hack, breaking tiling and all sorts of
maximization/fullscreen requests.  With pixelwise frame resizing we can
fill any empty space within the Emacs window with text and apply Jan's
rule to Windows builds as well.

>> Why bother users
>
> Because that's what manuals are about: bothering users with the
> details of how the software works.

I was convinced that the "details of how the software works" belong to
the Elisp manual.  Presumably I was wrong.

> Those who don't want to read,
> don't have to.

It makes me a bit sad that you apparently believe that I have chosen the
way of handling resize requests on Windows deliberately.  It took me
quite some time to arrive at the present solution and I am glad that so
far we never got any bug reports in this area.  I wished I could say the
same thing about the remaining platforms.

martin