Re: xdg-directories.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: xdg-directories.el
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2016 20:32:27 +0300

> From: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2016 17:13:43 +0100
> Cc: Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> I can implement the functions for Windows and OSX.

Thanks.  However, I don't see your copyright assignment on file, so
unless it's in the works, perhaps you shouldn't do that yet.

> But we do have a problem: once this is implemented for all operating systems,
> XDG will become a
> meaningless package name and prefix. Maybe we should not have a prefix at all
> and find sensible names not
> used by Emacs at the moment.

I don't follow this logic.  Being able to locate the "My Documents"
directory on Windows has nothing to do with XDG.  The package will
simply use that as fallback on Windows, if XDG_HOME etc. is not found
in the environment.  So the package will still have its place, I
think.

Beyond that, as I wrote earlier, places that are used by core Emacs
features, like user-emacs-directory, will have to be defined in
preloaded files, outside of the XDG package.

> 1. (locate-user-emacs-config-file "init.el")
> 2. (locate-user-emacs-file "init.el")
> 3. ~/.emacs.d/init.el
> 4. ~/.emacs (and the rest of the present order, like terminal specific files).
>
> Would that seem sensible to you?

I think so, but I'm not an expert on XDG related stuff.

We should also think whether we need to do anything if we find more
than one init.el in these places.