Re: Emacs binaries for Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs binaries for Windows
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 20:21:38 +0300

> From: Arash Esbati <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden (Phillip Lord),  address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 19:02:52 +0200
>
> I think another issue would be making every single archive
> self-contained then.

Yes, the dependency DLLs should be in every archive.  But if they are
identical, there's no problem for the users.

> The way I understand it many (all?) DLLs rely on
> `libgcc_s_seh-1.dll'.  So this one must be packed in every archive.
> I think your ezwinports are built this way.

Actually, I normally go to great lengths to avoid the runtime
dependency on the libgcc DLL.  For two reasons: (a) people who have
GCC installed will have that DLL, but probably a different version of
it; and (b) more importantly, the GPL mandates that distributing the
libgcc DLL requires to have the entire sources of GCC available from
the same site, and those sources are huge.

> For the start, I think I go with Phil: Pack the DLLs into one archive
> and tell users to unpack them into the directory where emacs.exe resides
> and be done with it.  This procedure can be changed later, if necessary.

It's up to whoever does the job, I was just explaining my personal
views.