Re: Debugging GNU Emacs on MS Windows / getting control back to gdb

From: Alain Schneble
Subject: Re: Debugging GNU Emacs on MS Windows / getting control back to gdb
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2016 18:38:57 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Alain Schneble <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2016 18:09:57 +0200
>>
>> When debugging GNU Emacs using gdb or gud-gdb on MS Windows, is there a
>> way to return control back to GDB at any point in time by suspending the
>> debuggee process -- without setting any breakpoint upfront?
>
> Not really, no.
>
> But what's the problem of setting a breakpoint up front?

I just wanted to step through `Fappend'.  But it's called a lot.  It
would have been much easier to just arrange for the state manually, then
suspend, set the breakpoint in Fappend and eval my elisp function that
calls the Fappend I'm interested in.  That sounded much easier to me
than configuring proper conditions on the breakpoint.  As an
alternative, I could have put a breakpoint on a rarly called function
such as Fredraw_display, as suggested in ./etc/DEBUG.  But that felt
more like a workaround as well.  Or is there yet another (better)
approach?

Thanks.
Alain