Re: Unbalanced change hooks (part 2) [Documentation fix still remaining]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Unbalanced change hooks (part 2) [Documentation fix still remaining]
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2016 15:09:02 -0400

>> >     This variable holds a list of functions to call before _ANY_ buffer
>> >     modification.
>> I think this description is correct.  If there's a modification where we
>> forget to run the hook, please report it as a bug.
> I think this is just an argument about the definition of
> "modification".  When a modification is done piecemeal, not every
> partial modification calls the before hook.

It's OK if we call it once for the whole region and then modify various
chunks of the region one by one, yes.  In that case, it's still called
before those modification.

Basically, It think we should guarantee that if buffer position N is
changed, then N is between the BEG and END of the latest call to b-c-f
(with END potentially adjusted to account for the other modifications
that took place in the mean time).

        Stefan