Re: Compressing ELPA

From: Clément Pit--Claudel
Subject: Re: Compressing ELPA
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 12:08:25 -0400

On 2016-07-20 09:00, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> I know in theory we could have the web server de-compress the files on
> the fly if/when the client doesn't support compression, but somehow
> I wasn't able to make this work
> (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26895894/get-apache-to-auto-decompress-a-file-but-only-if-needed).

Couldn't you do it the other way around? That is, could the files be stored
uncompressed on the server, and could the compression be taken care of by the
server itself, when requests arrive? (Isn't that the standard way to do things?)

Looking at headers, it seems that on my machine package.el already sends (via
url) the right header:
  Accept-encoding: gzip

And yet the server returns a plain file (that is, I'm not seeing

Clément.