Re: Development suggestions from an ENSIME developer

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Development suggestions from an ENSIME developer
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2016 23:05:24 -0700

CP> I for one would welcome a code of conduct :) These things tend to send an
PC> explicit positive message, and there are virtually no downsides to having
PC> one. LibrePlanet, Mailman, and GNU Health already seem to have one.

Hi Clément,

I appreciate the desire for a code of conduct, which is that we should all be
courteous and respectful of one another, united in our common effort to build
the future of Emacs.

If I thought having a code of conduct would make any difference, we would have
one. However, its mere existence does not stop anyone from saying whatever
they want; and its absence does not stop me from withdrawing their right to
post if I feel their contributions are inappropriate (and this list _is_
moderated, though no one has ever been filtered yet).

When people become abrasive or discouraging to others, I say something about
it. But even if a code of conduct existed, and said the same thing, I would
still need to repeat it here. The published document does not save me the
effort, since the problem exists _here_.

Some make the argument that publishing a code of conduct announces to others
what our standards are, and that we are accepting of all peoples, of all
persuasions. If we think this is what we've been missing to win new users,
that's certainly something to consider; but the fact is, everyone IS welcome,
abuse of any kind is NOT tolerated, and I think the people contributing here
already know that.