Re: Unbalanced change hooks (part 2)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Unbalanced change hooks (part 2)
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2016 21:30:37 +0300

> Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2016 20:17:35 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> > Anyhow, it's not just CC Mode.  As already discussed, there are 13 other
> > files which use before-change-functions, and some of these uses are
> > going to assume it works as documented, just as CC Mode did.  Sporadic
> > failures are going to occur in some of these other places, due to those
> > hook functions sometimes not being called.
>
> I will believe that when I see specific bug reports about those other
> packages.

Btw, I'm slowly but surely arriving to the conclusion that the
problems we are discussing can only happen when insert-file-contents
is called with VISIT and REPLACE non-nil, i.e. when reverting a
buffer.  Do we have any evidence to the contrary?  If we do, can
someone show or point to such contradicting evidence?

If my conclusion is correct, then we should probably focus on this
particular use case and look for a solution for it, as opposed to
trying to solve some more general problem that seems not to exist.  It
might be much easier and simpler.