Re: Should I report Emacs crashes due to ELisp infinite recursion?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Should I report Emacs crashes due to ELisp infinite recursion?
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2016 16:56:47 +0300

> From: Clément Pit--Claudel <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2016 09:11:19 -0400
>
> Or is it expected that infinite recursion from ELisp can crash Emacs?

Yes, because it causes stack overflow.

On some platforms, Emacs recently learned how to recover from stack
overflow, but that protection is not 100% reliable even on those
platforms (notably, stack overflow during GC cannot be recovered
from), and even if Emacs recovers we recommend to orderly shut down
the session and start another one.