Re: Managing environments (Python venv, guix environment, etc.)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Managing environments (Python venv, guix environment, etc.)
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2016 10:42:46 -0400

> They must change the semantics, because there's no other way of making
> an environment be a property of a file name.  Look at the syntax
> suggested for that, and you will see it.  A file 'foo' will no longer
> be called 'foo', but something else.

No, the /?... suggestion is a way to try and solve some problem expected
in the original suggestion which was to keep the names unchanged.

More specifically, the original idea was to associate environments with
specific existing directories, and then setup file-name-handlers which
would catch uses of things like process-file in those
existing directories.  In that case file names would not be changed.
The downside is that a file-name-handler catching /home/monnier/myenv1
may fail to be used if I happen to use refer to ~/myenv1 instead (and
other similar problems with symlinks and such).

        Stefan