Re: Managing environments (Python venv, guix environment, etc.)

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Managing environments (Python venv, guix environment, etc.)
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 15:03:37 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> On 07/25/2016 10:07 AM, Michael Albinus wrote:
>
>> Conceptually, you kick off all packages then which support remote
>> processes. They use proess-file instead of call-process, etc.
>
> Why? There would be a wrapper for process-file, too.

And for start-file-process. And for shell-command. And for ...

Doesn't sound applicable to me. Do you believe all callers will adapt in
finite time? It took years to let them move to process-file and friends,
and there are still bug reports about packages which didn't care.

And now we would ask to change again, with all the pain of backward
compatibility.

Best regards, Michael.