Re: Add autoload cookies in seq.el

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Add autoload cookies in seq.el
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 17:01:29 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Lars, why did you put read-multiple-choice in subr.el?  Its only user
>> > currently is message.el, which is not preloaded, so I think preloading
>> > seq.el as result of this is not justified.
>>
>> Perhaps subr-x.el would be a better place for it...
>>
>> But I find it rather odd that we can't use the best and most modern
>> libraries in the most central parts of Emacs.  That's kinda backwards.
>> The most central parts of Emacs gets the most obfuscated code?
>
> IOW, from my POV some code which was only used by message.el (which is
> not preloaded, and was never supposed to be) was added to subr.el,
> which then required to preload seq.el.  How is that related to the
> following complaint of yours:

I changed subject between the first and second paragraphs.

> Maybe I'm misremembering, but I only saw discussions about preloading
> seq once or twice, including this discussion.  So I'm not sure where
> does "persona non grata" thing come from.  Can you point me to those
> incidents which led you to this conclusion?

commit 9c969e1f848e65b24e06d3919cde9a7ae668bfb8
Author: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>
Date:   Mon May 23 12:48:19 2016 -0400

    * lisp/image.el (image--get-image): Avoid requiring a library for
    one trivial operation.

commit c6493c68f8fd6a5e6893eb3837a1a27f8d8a98a8
Author: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
Date:   Mon May 23 08:13:03 2016 -0700

    Fix seq requirement that broke bootstrap

    * lisp/image.el (image--get-image): Require seq here, not at the
    top level, to avoid ‘(require seq) while preparing to dump’ while
    bootstrapping.  Suggested by Tino Calancha in:
    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-05/msg00477.html