Re: On controlling rectangle-preview

From: Mark Oteiza
Subject: Re: On controlling rectangle-preview
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 10:54:22 -0400

On Jul 21, 2016 10:28 AM, "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > From: John Wiegley <address@hidden>
> > Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,  Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> > Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 00:03:25 -0700
> >
> > > This ends up bring very simple--permission to push to emacs-25?
> >
> > If Eli agrees, it looks safe enough to me for the release.
>
> Sorry, I'm confused by the last message in the discussion of the
> patch.  This started by introducing a new defcustom that controls the
> preview, but ended with a patch adding no defcustom and instead
> deleting 3 lines?  What did I miss (specifically between
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-07/msg00845.html,
> which approves the original patch, and

The new defcustom in the original patch would only prevent the preview if its value was nil and the minibuffer was empty.  If we agree on nil by default instead, and if the new variable is not worth adding, then...

> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-07/msg00911.html,
> which presents a totally different one)?

... this is the patch that achieves that. Of course, I could have misinterpreted Stefan's comments here
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-07/msg00835.html
Sorry if that is the case.

> And why is it needed in emacs-25?  Is there some urgent or
> particularly nasty problem involved that we'd like to fix ASAP?

It affects a feature that will be new in the release, as opposed to affecting a feature that existed in previous releases.