Re: instead of gnus-cloud.el

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: instead of gnus-cloud.el
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 09:44:40 -0400

On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 01:10:55 -0400 Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

RS> The term "cloud computing" clouds users minds; it discourages them
RS> from asking crucial questions, such as "Whose computer is that, in
RS> which country, and what exactly are they asking me to entrust to it?"
RS> It fuzzes all the different uses of the network together.  So we urge
RS> people to reject the term "cloud."  See
RS> http://gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html.

RS> Thus, I was perturbed to see that a file in Gnus grants legitimacy
RS> to the term "cloud" by using it.  The name ought to be changed.

RS> I was going to suggest another name based on what the file does.
RS> But I can't figure out what it does.  The only explanation is one
RS> line at the top of the file, and it doesn't say much.  That is
RS> bad maintenance.

Like Lars, I think this is funny because it's entirely unlike the
"cloud" in "cloud computing." It lets the user store their files, Gnus,
and other settings on an IMAP server they can control.

If "cloud" is really unacceptable, this replaces gnus-sync.el so maybe
it could take that name. But I would rather explain the joke in the
commentary.

Ted