auto-generating skeleton ChangeLogs (was: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: auto-generating skeleton ChangeLogs (was: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?)
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 09:28:52 -0400

On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 12:29:38 +0100 address@hidden (Phillip Lord) wrote:

PL> I use magit to create the structure for change log from the diff,
PL> interactively during the commit process. It's a little clunky, but it
PL> works okay.

That's what I do as well. It's very visual and I sometimes miss things.

Can we do better? What are the things we can catch, given a patch or VCS
commit and the VCS-controlled file?

* additions of variables: defvar, defcustom, ???
* additions of functions: defun, defun*, ???
* removals of variables and functions
* changes to defcustoms or defvars
* changes to functions
* other top-level macros such as `define-minor-mode'
* new files, deleted files

If there is code already written for this in Emacs or other packages,
great. If not, I guess it should be part of the VC mode?

Ted