vc-region-history, was: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: vc-region-history, was: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 02:39:01 +0300

On 07/09/2016 02:29 AM, John Wiegley wrote:

Personally, I've never found vc-region-history too useful (as opposed to
e.g. vc-annotate).

Aren't they quite different?  vc-annotate shows me the last time any line was
modified, while vc-region-history show me the history of that region,
including all the times it was modified.

Yes, but both are tools that can be used for examining how a given piece of code changed over time and why.

Inside vc-annotate buffer, I use vc-annotate-revision-previous-to-line a lot (bound to `a').

vc-region-history, on the other hand, gives a narrow view of each changeset (but the full commit messages, which is understandable, but can be confusing), and it seems basically impossible for it to correctly follow the history of a given piece of code, as long as its complex enough.

Granted, I've only ever tried it out in complex cases so far.