Re: Syntax of "-" in shell-mode

From: Dima Kogan
Subject: Re: Syntax of "-" in shell-mode
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2016 10:49:40 -0700

Ivan Andrus <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 3:05 PM, Dima Kogan <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Of course the true syntax depends on context, but in my experience, in
>> shell commands "-" is a word far more often than it isn't.
>
> I disagree.  They are symbols, not words. I don't want forward-word to skip
> past dashes, that's a job for forward-sexp.

OK. So I lived with this for a while, using xxx-sexp functions to
interact with cmdline arguments in shell-mode. This works better than
xxx-word functions because of its handling of - as you said. But -sexp
functions treat . as a separator, so this still isn't ideal.

I think it would be useful to have something (-word, -sexp, whatever) be
able to operate on cmdline arguments in shell mode. Would it be more
acceptable to adjust the internals of -sexp instead of -word in this
context?

dima