Re: Differences between Org-Mode and Hyperbole

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Differences between Org-Mode and Hyperbole
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2016 18:22:26 -0400

  > For instance, I prepare my blog entries in some Org file.  Each entry is
  > at the same time a TODO item, with todo keywords TODO, READY and DONE
  > ("READY" means ready for publishing, "DONE" means published).  Each
  > entry has also a "LOGBOOK drawer", which is normally hidden, with
  > clocking (= time-tracking) information.  All in one place.  This is
  > beautiful.

It doesn't seem like a natural approach for me.
I'm glad it is useful for you.

Printing a todo list seems like a strange and unusual thing to want to
do.  I expect few Emacs users will want to do that.  So I'd rather
offer a todo mode which can be described in a self-contained way
and doesn't talk about embedding or exporting.

This doesn't mean it shouldn't allow embedding and exporting.  There's
no harm if it supports those, for the sake of users like you that want
to use those features together.  But users thinking of using a todo
mode shouldn't have to learn about those other things.

Is it possible to make a todo mode variant of Org mode, and document
that in a way that mentions only the features of basic todo list
editing?  (No mention of exporting or Babyl.)

In other words, it would not tell users, "Here's one of the great
things you can do with Org mode" but rather "Here's how to edit Todo
lists"?

--
Dr Richard Stallman