Re: Differences between Org-Mode and Hyperbole

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Differences between Org-Mode and Hyperbole
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2016 09:18:21 +0200

Hi all,

I come a little late to this discussion, but I can't help chiming in.

On 2016-06-29, at 16:34, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> Because the various subfeatures of Org mode were designed inside Org mode,
> they turn Org mode into a separate editor within Emacs.

I find the above claim to be false.  It is like saying that python-mode
is a separate Python editor within Emacs.

An important reason for Org's success is that it works /in Emacs/.  All
of my customizations, keybindings, usage habits work across most of the
modes.  Org-mode is not an exception.

> It must be good to use, to have so many users.  But that's a different
> issue.  These submodes should be designed so that they individually
> fit into Emacs.

They do, don't they?  Another Org's strength is that you don't have to
use all of its features.

> Since I don't know Org mode, I don't know what you mean by this
> statement.  "The basis" has various possible meanings and I can't tell
> what you mean.
>
> The reason I don't know Org mode is that I'd have to start by learning
> basic Org mode, which I am not interested in, before I see what its
> specific features are.  At that point, I gave up.

Let me help you begin.

By typing a letter or other "normal ASCII character", you insert it.
You move point with arrow keys of C-b/C-f/C-n/C-p.
By pressing C-a and C-e, you get to the beginning/end of line.
By pressing DEL, you delete a character before point.
By pressing C-d, you delete a character after point.
By typing one or more asterisks followed by space at the beginning of
a line, you start a heading (like in vanilla Emacs' Outline mode).
By pressing TAB when point is on a headline, you cycle through various
possible visibility states.

Bam!  Now you know basic Org-mode.

You're welcome.

;-)