Re: Subject: Call for testers for GNU Hyperbole 5.12, a large, useful Em

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: Subject: Call for testers for GNU Hyperbole 5.12, a large, useful Emacs package
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 10:43:22 -0400

On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 6:52 PM, Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 06/20/2016 01:20 AM, Robert Weiner wrote:
>
>> Fair enough.  The HY-ABOUT file available on {C-h h d a} tells you
>> what it is all about and should
>> be mentioned in the HY-README file.
>

> Thanks, that's a better read for that purpose.

We are also working on a quick list of items of why people might want
to use Hyperbole.  The beginning of this is found in the HY-WHY.kotl
file in your hyperb:dir directory.  We welcome ideas for this list.

>> True.  You probably want {C-h h d t} which lets you browse all of the
>> implicit button types and action types.
>

> Rather than a long list of things that are possible, I would prefer to see
> two or three things that are most impressive. Or four.

See if you can find one and tell us what it is.  Everyone will find
different things of use.  Look at the User Quotes section from past
users in the HY-README file and you will see what other people have
found impressive.

>> That's like asking what workflow Lisp can enable.  Hyperbole is a
>> toolkit, like Emacs, that you mold to your needs.  It has a lot of
>> built-in behavior but is not limited by this.
>

> Right, but a system that allows you to do anything often doesn't help you do
> anything in particular. That's a problem, both for new users and for
> advocates.

We are open to suggestions for how to make Hyperbole even more
approachable.  I think we have done a lot more than most other
packages to explain all sorts of things to both new and experienced
users.  Maybe what is needed is a sequence of what to look at in what
order or maybe you have suggestions for the readme file where it
points you to various documents and how that could be improved.

>> If you get into Hyperbole more, you will certainly understand why we
>> name that key and don't use a specific mouse button name much.
>

> Probably, but I meant that introducing new terms in a demo might be
> premature.

I see your point.  I think the demo is aimed at people that know they
have an interest in Hyperbole and what to try it out, not for people
who just want to investigate whether or not to use it.  The other
documents I have pointed you to should serve that purpose.   We know
there is a need for a video demo as well but don't have anyone with
time to make it yet.

>> Send us your system specifics so we can possibly replicate the
>> problem.  With Hyperbole, you can do this with {C-h h m c}.
>

> Hopefully that does it:
>
> Editor: GNU Emacs 25.0.95.2 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
>
>         Hyperbole:   05.12
>         Sys Type:    x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
>         OS Type:     gnu/linux
>         Window Sys:  x
>
> Although I'm not starting with bare Emacs, but rather with my own customized
> configuration.

See if you can send a backtrace of any error you get or at least the
message, so we can understand better.

Bob