Re: Emacs bug #23794; sort-line behavior regressed from prior Emacs vers

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs bug #23794; sort-line behavior regressed from prior Emacs versions
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 20:42:43 +0300

> Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 20:26:52 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > From: Robert Weiner <address@hidden>
> > Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 13:01:54 -0400
> >
> > I would like this to be considered for marking as a blocking issue on the
> > next release, so that the patch may be
> > applied and users do not experience sort-line problems.. A patch was
> > provided which should be compatible
> > with any tests available for sort-lines. The patch makes Emacs behave as it
> > did before Emacs outlines moved
> > to overlays for outlining and away from \r characters to denote hidden
> > lines, that is sort-lines works on visible
> > lines not invisible ones. Please let me know your decision after
> > discussion. Thanks, Bob
>
> Sorry, but I disagree.  A new feature can never block a release.

I see that you consider this a regression.  But the change you refer
to was in Emacs 22.1, released 9 years ago, so we've lived with this
long enough to consider your proposal a new feature.  I also think
that your proposed change goes farther than just restoring that old
behavior, because outline and its derivatives are not the only modes
that use invisible text.