RE: Why are the tests byte-compiled

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Why are the tests byte-compiled
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 08:13:25 -0700 (PDT)

> >> Conclusion: the emacs tests should not be byte-compiled.
> >> Or am I missing something?
> >
> > Backtraces include byte-code for code that was compiled.  They
> > should not.  Rather, it should at least be possible for a user
> > or a program to elide the byte-code in a backtrace.
>
> Sure, but in this case the byte-code hides everything of use.
> I can't see any reason *why* they are byte compiled.

Yes, sorry if I was not clear.  There are two things that could
be improved:

1. The issue you raised, which is whether or not test code should
   be byte-compiled.

2. Bug #6991, http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=6991.

If the code you need to see in the backtrace is byte-compiled
then eliding that byte-code won't help.  Agreed.