Re: gnu.org-hosted external repositories for GNU ELPA packages?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: gnu.org-hosted external repositories for GNU ELPA packages?
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2016 17:54:14 -0400

> My preference would be to maintain them as external git repositories
> so that I can push work-in-progress without bothering the emacs-devel
> list, and only notify emacs-devel once I was happy for a new version
> to be looked at.

GNU ELPA's packages are prepared from the elpa.git repository (among
other reasons, so as to make sure every code distributed was installed
by people who have commit access and signed paperwork).

So elpa.git needs to have a copy of the repository.  The canonical
repository can be elsewhere (and you just need to "push" to elpa.git
in order to release a new version).

Note that other people may still install changes in the elpa.git copy
(you should then get an automatic email message with that change).

        Stefan