Re: Remove "Recent messages" from `M-x report-emacs-bug'

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Remove "Recent messages" from `M-x report-emacs-bug'
Date: Mon, 09 May 2016 19:31:46 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 09 May 2016 15:53:19 +0200
>
> Emacs bug reports include the ten most recent lines from the *Messages*
> buffer.  I think that's kinda unfortunate -- there may be private stuff
> there that people are not expecting to share with the world.
>
> And I've never found that data useful when doing bug triage.
>
> Should we remove it from the report?

Please don't.  We already removed too much valuable stuff from the
report, and that definitely hampers debugging remote problems.  It is
okay to let users opt-out by removing portions of the report, if they
want that, but if we continue removing important portions of the
report, we might as well delete the command altogether, because it
becomes less and less useful; soon enough a simple unformatted mail
message will provide the same info (or lack thereof) as this command.

In case it wasn't clear, I object strenuously to unconditional removal
of that info as the default behavior.