Re: elementary: how to display a ' in a docstring

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: elementary: how to display a ' in a docstring
Date: Sat, 7 May 2016 14:32:37 -0700

Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Ok but you complained, or seemed to complained that it is not good
> style. So what is the recommended setting in the case I mentioned?

If the suggested value is the singleton list ("{rev}"), then (setq
vc-hg-symbolic-revision-styles '("{rev}")) is a Lisp expression that sets the
variable to the suggested value. As that is the expression you already
mentioned, your code should be OK already.

My quibble was with the doc string you suggested. In a doc string generally the
simplest way to discuss a cons value like ("{rev}") is to write the value
without quoting it. In the rare cases where this is unclear, you can quote the
value the same way you would quote a symbol or any other piece of Lisp code in a
doc string, namely by surrounding it with ` and '.