Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 81204b2: Port xref-tests to master branch

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 81204b2: Port xref-tests to master branch
Date: Sat, 7 May 2016 23:44:16 +0300

On 05/07/2016 11:32 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:

That being said, the master branch should use the same pattern for all the tests
that consult the data file.

Preferably yes, but if some authors are fine with using ERT from command line only, they could keep the current pattern if it's somehow preferable. I just don't want to see interactive-friendly patterns stomped out.

On a related note, most test code uses test/data and (getenv "EMACS_TEST_DIRECTORY"), but package-tests.el use the previous pattern (which I prefer) and test/lisp/emacs-lisp/package-resources/ (which seems rather inconsistent).

I adjusted the xref tests to use the pattern I saw
elsewhere; if the pattern is wrong, we should fix it everywhere.

Yes, no blame here. I just hadn't noticed it right away.

Extra points if
you can figure out how to fix it without breaking merges from the emacs-25
branch, which uses a slightly different architecture in this area.

I don't think changes to tests on emacs-25 are going to be a significant problem much more.