Re: implementing BIDI isolates, and make LRM and RLM visible

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: implementing BIDI isolates, and make LRM and RLM visible
Date: Mon, 02 May 2016 19:48:37 +0000

>>> "Eli" == Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

    > That's accurate for Emacs 24.5.  Emacs 25.1 has the full UBA
    > implemented, including the isolates.

    > I don't understand this, sorry.  Please show what you type, how it
    > looks on display, and how you wanted it to look, and we can take it up
    > from there.

Ok, I will send some screenshots, most likely tomorrow. I'd rather avoid
to send them, but it seems the fastest way to explain.

    > In any case, I don't think the issue that bothers you has anything
    > to do with isolates, because those don't change how Emacs
    > determines the base paragraph direction.

ok

    > It's done already.

Good :-D

    > We are already in the future, just use the latest pretest of Emacs
    > 25.1.

I do, the person I was discussing this issue with, however did not. He
still uses 24. But he was also bothered by the paragraph direction. For
example OO (OpenOffice) whose BIDI implementation does not seem to be
perfect, only changes the display paragraph wise. But I will elaborate
an example.

    >> Meanwhile I try to use LRM and RLM to deal with such situations.
    >> However is there a way to make them visible, at least buffer
    >> local?

    > They are visible: they are displayed as thin spaces.  If you want them
    > more visible, customize glyphless-char-display-control.

Ok, I realize that there is something, but for me that is to tiny. I
will try your advice.

Thanks again

Uwe