Beginning the deep freeze for 25.1

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Beginning the deep freeze for 25.1
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2016 01:05:36 -0700

Hello all,

As we come into May, we're now 7 weeks away (and change) from the desired
release date of June 21 for Emacs 25.1.

That being the case, we now enter a "deep freeze" period. This means: only
release blocking bugs, and fixes to documentation, should appear on the
emacs-25 branch now. It also means that:

 1. If a bug is important and not currently a release blocker, please lobby
    for it to be made one. That is, for it to be marked as a blocker to Bug
    #19759, the release ticket for 25.1.

 2. If a bug is currently a release blocker list shouldn't be, please also
    make it known here. I have a feeling we've accumulated quite a number of
    such issues.

 3. If you another change you'd like committed beyond this freeze, please ask
    here and we can discuss a special exemption.

After all the blocking issues are fixed, we'll cut our first release candidate
and see if it's good enough for delivery. After we make one that fails to
create new blockers, we'll call it golden.

I'm naming Eli today as our release manager for this release, meaning he has
my blessing to manage the blocking list without confirmation from me. Thus, if
you have a bug you'd like fixed, either he or I can give you the yay/nay.

Nicolas will be our release engineer, and will prepare a few more pretests
leading up to the release candidate(s).

The first order of business for next week should be to reduce our blocking
issues to just those that really fixing in this release. When evaluating,
please consider whether or not you could live with such an issue in 25.1; if
you could, it might not be necessary to hold up the release for it.

Onward to 25.1!