Re: Recent commit modifying mark-whole-buffer (master/aeb613ea95b7970e66

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Recent commit modifying mark-whole-buffer (master/aeb613ea95b7970e66d663ec5cba54e9ec0528fa)
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 14:48:39 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> I assumed it was an uncontroversial fix -- there are many commands that
>> work differently in the minibuffer exactly because we don't want to
>> include the prompt.
>
> Fix of what problem?  I was saying that the problem is not clear to
> me?

Well, the problem was that mark-whole-buffer marked the prompt in the
minibuffer.  :-)

>> I don't quite follow.  If you want to mark the prompt, there's a
>> gazillion ways of doing that, including `C-u C-a C-<SPC>'.  Or just hold
>> down `<left>'.  :-)
>
> Are we mis-communicating?  I thought the suggestion on the table, to
> which I objected, was to make the prompt have a property that would
> preclude doing all these things.
>
>> (By the way, I think it would be nice if `<left>' didn't enter the
>> prompt.)
>
> And I don't understand why you think so.  We were allowed to do so for
> eons, why suddenly change that?

I think we must be miscommunicating.  On the one hand you seem to be
suggesting that we should make the prompt more special than it is now,
and on the other hand, you seem to be suggesting that we shouldn't,
because we haven't for eons?