Re: Overlay-related TODO

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Overlay-related TODO
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 09:38:15 +0300

> From: Vladimir Kazanov <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 22:59:03 +0100
>
> 1. Stefan is not a maintainer now. Is current maintainer interested in
> helping me to improve overlays..?

The interest in improving the implementation of overlays to gain
better scalability, speed, and additional features -- is still there.
As for "helping", you will have to be more explicit in what kind of
help you'd like to have.  E.g., is it just with discussions, or do you
need help in coding as well?

> 2. Who can I discuss the possible solution with..?

Us.  Here.  If you have a specific design in mind, just describe it.

I think one of the first jobs (not necessarily done by you) should be
a suite of tests that exercise the functionality and also present the
current performance of typical expensive and inexpensive tasks related
to overlays.  This will be instrumental in both guiding the design and
implementation, and in testing the improvements brought by the new
code.

Thanks.